Wednesday, January 20, 2016

A Framework for Making Ethical Decisions

After first reading the article, I immediately thought "Well there is a lot that goes into making an ethical decision." Do we really have to go through each question and choose which answer would best fit the ethical dilemma? I think for larger ethical dilemmas, yes, but for small ethical dilemmas, not so much. 

The first quote that jumped out to me was, "Kant argued that doing what is right is not about the consequences of our actions (something over which we ultimately have no control) but about having the proper intention in performing the action." The point about having the proper intentions in performing the action really resonated with me. I think it captures a lot of what the article was talking about in that you have to think about how and why you are choosing the answer to the ethical decision.

The second quote that jumped out to me was, "Nevertheless, it is not always advisable to follow our immediate intuitions, especially in particularly complicated or unfamiliar situations." I'm the type of person that goes with my gut and immediate intuitions. Like when you're taking a test you're supposed to go with your first answer and not change it because you're usually right the first time. After reading the article it does make sense that you do not go with immediate intuitions because you may not have the best answer right away for a difficult ethical dilemma.

Source: http://www.brown.edu/academics/science-and-technology-studies/framework-making-ethical-decisions

No comments:

Post a Comment